In the spirit of Thanksgiving, let’s take a timeout from this year’s edition of Husker Turmoil and rundown a few reasons why Husker fans should be thankful, even though another stupid season has gone the tubes.
In no particular order (other than the order in which we thought of them) –
1. The Mighty Runza.
On a totally unrelated note, do you realize people from Ohio eat this slop by the shovel-load and they like it?
2. Taco John’s Six Pack and a Pound.
(I nearly had a heart attack just learning that my daily lunch in high school packs 5,400 calories.)
True story: This thing was supposed to be called the Dog-in-ator but the whole idea of putting the name up to a fan vote backfired when Der Viener Schlinger was the overwhelming favorite.
Is it obvious that we haven’t had lunch yet?
4. Our coach (for now) may have had to issue an apology for justly speaking his mind about fair weathered boo birds during a private conversation but at least he’s never had to give a press conference (made extra awkward by a mangled face and neck brace) explaining why he was out for a motorcycle ride with a perky young intern who was his payroll.
5. Taylor Martinez.
When a few years go by and memories start blurring, may everyone remember him as he was against Kansas State as a freshman.
6. Shevin Wiggins‘ Foot.
That 60 – 3 run and a third national title in the 90’s all hinged on one magical foot.
7. We had a coach who could have had a fourth national title but had big enough stones to play for the win.
8. The Fullback Trap.
When a championship is on the line, just give the ball to the kid from Small Town, Nebraska. Twice.
10. And all the other crazy heart stopping wins in the Bo Pelini era.
Ohio State 2011
Michigan State 2012
McNeese State 2014
11. The #TommyBomb
Tommy Armstrong might not complete a lot of passes but the ones that are caught can be pretty impressive.
12. This kid.
13. How ’bout that time the Huskers made Steve Spurrier sad?
14. DJ Mikey Bo’s Tunnel Walk Remix never caught on.
15. The 1995 Tunnel Walk is still a classic.
16. That time Ndamukong Suh set the tone for their relationship should he and Colt McCoy ever end up living together in a prison cell.
17. Houston Nutt never coached the Huskers.
18. That time Peyton Manning met the Blackshirts.
19. Rex Burkhead.
20. Ameer Abdullah.
21. This Husker legacy highlight real that is impossible for a fan to watch without getting a little misty-eyed and having the urge to run through a wall for the Big Red.
22. And we can’t forget about Kenny Bell.
23. Even going 8-4 is a heck of a lot better than 4-8.